Hixson and Lean: The Choosing By Advantages System
Hixson has been a practitioner of Lean-based methods and tools for several decades. One of the most recent additions to our toolkit is the Choosing By Advantages (CBA) decision-making system. Developed by Jim Suhr, and recognized by the Lean Construction Institute, CBA facilitates consensus-based, fact-based decisions and documents the decision-making process. Because CBA is a decision-making system, it includes definitions, models, principles, and methods for all types of decisions – from the simplest to the most complex. Under the CBA system, decisions must be:
- Based on the importance of advantages (beneficial differences) between alternatives.
- Anchored to the relevant facts.
Hixson’s experience with CBA has been very positive since its implementation. We have found that CBA:
- Produces decisions that stick, with consensus from all stakeholders.
- Reduces the time spent on exploring options, minimizing rework, and minimize second guessing.
- Facilitates and simplifies the decision-making process.
- Documents the decision-making process.
- Accommodates both objective and subjective data: Facts and opinions both matter.
To learn more about CBA and how its use can improve decisions on your next project, contact Hixson today.
Comments are closed.